Im running a bit low on funds, so im trying my best to make something out of nothin! Here is my simple recipe for a pretty tasty pasta sauce.
1) 1/2 a small spanish onion (sliced thin, thin)
2) 1/2 cup of mini portobello mushrooms (sliced)
3) 2-3 cloves of garlic (finely minced)4) Veggie 'Meat' crumblers, which ever brand you prefer, I like Smart Deli's:
4) Olive oil (I ran out, so i substitutes with Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread)
5) Spices: S/P, Oregano, Thyme, Basil, garlic/onion powder (optional). Herbs fresh are the best, but dried will do the trick too!
6) Large can of Crushed Tomatoes
7)Sugar (Pure Cane, florida crystal is nice and not too chunky, sugar in the raw is way to chunky!) 2-3 tablespoons.
Saute onions, garlic and mushrooms, until onions become translucent. Add the veggie crumbles, and brown for a couple minutes. Add entire can of crushed tomatoes, stir in spices and sugar to taste, bring to a boil, then lower and cover to simmer. Its really that easy!
Add your favorite pasta and/or Vegan Cheese to taste. : )